Life happens! First Bank Richmond understands that unexpected overdrafts occur from time to time – Overdraft Coverage can help.
Overdraft Coverage Options
The choice is yours. Consider these ways to cover overdrafts:
Overdraft Protection Sweep from Another Deposit
Account you have at First Bank Richmond¹
$5 fee per transfer
Line Sweep Manager Line of Credit¹²
Subject to fees + interest
$29 Overdraft Fee per item
¹Call us at (800) 548-8138, email us or come by a branch to sign up or apply for these services; ²subject to credit approval.
Overdraft Protection Sweep or Line Sweep Manager Line of Credit services apply to all transactions and may help prevent overdrafts by automatically transferring funds to your checking account from another account or line of credit you have at First Bank Richmond for a fee or finance charge. Please note that an overdraft line of credit is subject to credit approval.
Overdraft Privilege allows you to overdraw your account up to the disclosed limit for a fee in order to pay a transaction. Even if you have overdraft protection, Overdraft Privilege is still available as secondary coverage if the other protection source is exhausted.
Transactions Covered with Extended Overdraft Privilege:
- ACH - Automatic Debits
- Recurring Debit Card Payments
- Online Bill Pay Items
- Internet Banking Transfers
- Telephone Banking
- Teller Window Transactions
- ATM Transactions
- Everyday Debit Card Transactions
Business accounts can discontinue the Overdraft Privilege in its entirety by contacting us at (800) 548-8138 or sending us an e-mail at email@example.com.
What Else You Should Know
- A link to another account or a line of credit may be a less expensive option than an overdraft. A single larger overdraft will result in just one fee, as opposed to multiple smaller overdrafts. Good account management is the best way to avoid overdrafts. Use our mobile banking, Internet banking, and telephone banking services to keep track of your balance. For additional financial education resources, please visit www.mymoney.gov.
- The $29 Overdraft Fee is the same fee amount that is charged if a check is returned as unpaid. If multiple items overdraw your account on the same day, each item will be assessed an appropriate Overdraft Fee or a Return Item Fee of $29. All fees and charges will be included as part of the Overdraft Privilege limit amount. Your account may become overdrawn in excess of the Overdraft Privilege limit amount as a result of a fee.
- There is a no limit per day on the total fees we can charge you for overdrawing your account. If your account balance remains overdrawn for 5 calendar days, we will charge your account a daily overdraft fee of $10.00 for each consecutive calendar day the account remains overdrawn, beginning with day 5th calendar day.
- This describes the posting order for purposes of determining overdrafts. First Bank Richmond has chosen to clear transactions by posting priority in the order of transaction code and then control number. Our general policy is to post items throughout the day and to post credits before debits, but there are over 100 types of transaction codes which could be processed on your account. Preauthorized withdrawals, authorized loan and tax payments are paid prior to electronic bill pay or some ATM debits. Checks, fees and service charges are processed after all other debits are processed. However, because of the many ways we allow you to access your account, the posting order of individual items may differ from these general policies. Call us at 1-800-548-8138 if you have questions on the posting order of specific items.
- Although under payment system rules, First Bank Richmond may be obligated to pay some unauthorized debit card transactions, First Bank Richmond will not authorize debit card or ATM transactions unless there are available funds (including Overdraft Coverage Options) to cover the transactions and any fee(s).
- First Bank Richmond authorizes and pays transactions using the available balance in your account. First Bank Richmond may place a hold on deposited funds in accordance with our Deposit Account Agreement and Disclosure, which will reduce the amount in your available balance. The available balance for checks, ACH items, and recurring debit card transactions, ATM transactions, and everyday debit card transactions is comprised of the ledger balance, less any holds on deposited funds and any debit card holds, plus the amount of the Overdraft Privilege limit and any available overdraft protection.
- Please be aware that the Overdraft Privilege amount is not included in your available balance provided through online banking, mobile banking or First Bank Richmond’s ATMs.
- First Bank Richmond will place a hold on your account for any authorized debit card transaction until the transaction settles (usually within two business days) or as permitted by payment system rules. In some cases, the hold may exceed the amount of the transaction. When the hold ends, the funds will be added to the available balance in your account. If your account is overdrawn after the held funds are added to the available balance and the transaction is posted to the available balance, an Overdraft Fee may be assessed.
- Except as described in this letter, First Bank Richmond will not pay items if your account does not contain available funds (including the Overdraft Privilege limit) to cover the item(s) and the amount of any fee(s).
- First Bank Richmond may suspend your debit card if you incur overdrafts in excess of the available balance in your account, including any Overdraft Privilege limit (as described in this letter). Debit cards on your account will remain suspended until you make sufficient deposits so that your available balance, taking into account any Overdraft Privilege limit, is positive and then you contact us.
- First Bank Richmond may also suspend your debit card if your account is overdrawn more than 30 consecutive calendar days. Debit cards on your account will remain suspended until you make sufficient deposits so that your account balance is positive.
- First Bank Richmond may also suspend your debit card if we are unable to contact you due to an incorrect mailing address or phone number(s). You must contact us with your correct mailing address and/or phone number(s) to have your debit card reinstated.
- If your debit card is suspended, you will be unable to use your debit card for purchases or to access your account at the ATM, and if you use your debit card for recurring payments, e.g., utilities, you are responsible to make other arrangements for your recurring debit payment(s).
- Overdraft Privilege limits of up to $1,000 for eligible Business Checking accounts opened at least 30 days in good standing.
- Overdraft Privilege is not a line of credit; it is a discretionary overdraft service that can be withdrawn at any time without prior notice.
- Overdraft Privilege may be discontinued if you default on any loan or other obligation to us, your account becomes subject to any legal or administrative order or levy, or if you fail to maintain your account in good standing by not bringing your account to a positive balance within 30 days for a minimum of one business day. You must bring your account balance positive for at least one business day to have Overdraft Privilege reinstated.
- Depositor and each Authorized Signatory will continue to be liable, jointly and severally, for all overdraft and fee amounts, as described in the Deposit Account Agreement and Disclosure. The total (negative) balance, including all fees and charges, is due and payable upon demand.
If you have any questions about Overdraft Protection or Overdraft Privilege, please call us at (800) 548-8138 or visit a branch.